ASTRAL ODYSSEY: Thesis Journeys Part 3

We are back with Part 3 of the Astral Odyssey Series. Today we have with us Manpreet Singh. His research focuses on the phenomena of impact flares in OJ287. Without further ado, let's get into it.


Question 1 - What was your thesis topic? 

Answer 1 – My thesis topic was "Anticipating Unseen Impact Flares in OJ287." Impact flares are powerful outbursts of energy emitted by some astronomical objects, and understanding them can help us learn more about the object itself. 


Question 2 - Why did you choose this topic? 

Answer 2 – OJ287 is a supermassive black hole binary and a candidate for nano-hertz gravitational wave detection. Understanding its physics can aid in predicting the timing of these waves, enhancing our observation capabilities.


Question 3 - What did you like about it? 

Answer 3 - What I really liked about this project was the opportunity to contribute to the ongoing research on OJ287. By analyzing pre-flare and post-flare factors, I aimed to provide evidence that could help determine which model more accurately predicts the timing of future impact flares. This kind of research helps us understand the physics of these fascinating objects better.


Question 4 - Who was your guide? 

Answer 4 – I worked under Prof. Achamveedu Gopakumar from TIFR, Mumbai. 


Question 5 – Was astro always the plan? 

Answer 5 – Yes, astrophysics has been my passion since the beginning. I've always been fascinated by stars, black holes, and the mysteries of the cosmos. 


Question 6 – Internship done in this field? 

Answer 6 – Yes, I did internships in this field but due to covid we got chance only after the 2nd year. I worked under Prof. Jasjeet Singh Bagla on the topic “Stellar Structure, evolution and its impact on their environment”. It was a wonderful experience; I learned many new concepts and software under his supervision. Then next summer I worked with Dr. Pankaj Kushwaha who first introduced me to this Blazar OJ287. In that summer I learned about AGNs, relativistic jets from AGNs and their properties. Then from the 8th semester I started working on OJ287 and its impact flares under Prof. Achamveedu Gopakumar (TIFR Mumbai) and Mauri J Valtonen (UTU, Finland) and I continued it as my thesis. 


Question 7 – How did you get interested? 

Answer 7 – My interest in astrophysics and cosmology developed from a childhood passion that I pursued through my academic journey. 


Question 8 – What are the prerequisites for this field? 

Answer 8 – Astrophysics requires a strong foundation in physics, including classical mechanics, fluid mechanics, quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and electrodynamics. Proficiency in at least one coding language is also essential.


Question 9 – Any mistakes that you have done, and would recommend the juniors to avoid? 

Answer 9 – Start applying for summer internships early, especially if considering opportunities abroad. Also, consider learning and understanding General Theory of Relativity, as it can be beneficial in various astronomy subfields.



Question 10 – What are your future plans? 

Answer 10 – I am currently seeking a PhD position and aspire to remain in academia.

Comments

Popular Posts